Goodbye, Digg

» 10 August 2009 » In Me, PHP, Work »

I will be leaving Digg at the end of this month.

Reset point

The launching point for this decision was my visit in June to Iceland, where I had many opportunities in sublime surrounds to reflect on my life and aspirations. Standing on top of the world  at Sjónarsker, I realized that though my career has spanned some great companies, the next step in my professional life would have to involve building something of my own. Later on, watching a never-ending sunset from the hill at Stykkishólmur, I understood that this something has to happen sooner than later, and serendipitously, an opportunity to do just that has arisen recently. My friend Chris Shiflett, who visited Iceland with me, has similar aspirations and likes to say “good work, good people”, and that is definitely what I intend to do.

Thank you, Joe Stump, for recruiting me. My 8 months at Digg flew by quickly, but the friendships I made there will last for a lifetime, I hope. I have been privileged to work with and next to some of  the best and brightest people that I have met in my life. There is a great road ahead for Diggers as the company advances to stay on the cutting edge of the social news industry. I am sad to be leaving when some very cool developments are afoot, but excited for my own road ahead. By the way, Wine Wednesdays were the best.

I am planning to do a bit of traveling at the end of August and then start September afresh. There is plenty to be done to bring these ideas to life and I cannot wait to share the news when the time is right. Oh, and I’m still going to be involved in PHP, perhaps even more than usual.

Reset. Restart. Renew.

And, seriously, visit Iceland if you have a chance. It is another world.

26 Comments on "Goodbye, Digg"

Tim
    10/08/2009 at 11:38 pm Permalink

Wow Andrei, that’s some big- and exciting news! It sounds like you experienced quite a life changing epiphany, and I can’t wait to see what incredible things you accomplish :) Iceland is definitely going on the “must travel to” list :) Best of luck and safe travels!

Keane
    10/08/2009 at 11:40 pm Permalink

Very cool, Andrei. I can only imagine great things for you in the future!

Good luck :)

Tara
    10/08/2009 at 11:42 pm Permalink

A –

Whoa, I thought you were going to say you were moving to Iceland. :)

I will be in total shock if your next project isn’t something to do with beer.

Best of luck to you, whatever it is, I know you will rock it hard.

Hearts,
    Tara

Joel Perras
    10/08/2009 at 11:45 pm Permalink

Best of luck on your new endeavours, whatever they may be.

I must say that after seeing all the pictures and hearing about your Icelandic adventures, I’ve bumped it up on my list of places to visit. Hopefully I’ll get to see it sooner rather than later.

Cheers.

Amanda
    10/08/2009 at 11:45 pm Permalink

That’s some exciting news! I can’t wait to hear what is next for you. Good Luck

suki
    10/08/2009 at 11:54 pm Permalink

Traveling seems to open up different parts of the brain surrounding opportunities and adventure. :-) Exciting news! Look forward to hearing about where you’re off to next and of course, your new plan of action.

See you soon, Andrei!

Poo
    10/08/2009 at 11:57 pm Permalink

Wow, that’s exciting! I look forward to hearing about your new ventures! Best of luck! :)

Kara
    10/08/2009 at 11:58 pm Permalink

So…this is what you were kind of sort of hinting at the other night at Korean BBQ but I never expected this. I’ll echo Tara’s thoughts: Whatever it is will end up rocking hard!

Susan
    11/08/2009 at 12:02 am Permalink

Congratulations on what I’m sure was the result of many “thinky thoughts” these past few weeks. 😉 I can’t wait to hear about your end of month travels and to see the incredible photos to come. You rock, Andrei!

laura
    11/08/2009 at 12:11 am Permalink

Congratulations Andrei! Can’t wait to see what you work on next; hopefully you’ll remember us little people :)

Greg Stein
    11/08/2009 at 12:58 am Permalink

Ha! You were playing it all sly at OSCON 😛

Well… I’m certainly one that can appreciate “moving onwards to the awesomeness of life”, so allow me to give you a heartfelt “congratz, buddy!”. That’s great news for you (tho Digg may disagree with me).

Cheers!
    /me lifts his glass, waving in a US-ly direction…

Chris Shiflett
    11/08/2009 at 1:40 am Permalink

I’ll remember the midnight sun at Stykkishólmur for a long time.

Great things are coming. I can’t wait. :-)

Anthony Gentile
    11/08/2009 at 2:23 am Permalink

Ok, that’s it, I am definitely going to Iceland now.

Bill Karwin
    11/08/2009 at 2:34 am Permalink

I liked the “good work, good people” phrase. I wish you (and everyone else) the best of luck finding that. Be well!

Jordie Bodlay
    11/08/2009 at 2:56 am Permalink

Mate, that’s awesome. I think you’re doing what everyone would love to; kick off the job, get rid of the bosses and get out there and do something amazing.

I’m travelling Europe next year as I study German and had every intention of visiting Iceland, too. You’ve just inspired me moreso.

Cheers! Good luck in whatever it is you have up your sleeve!

Chris Shiflett
    11/08/2009 at 3:16 am Permalink
    George Schlossnagle
    11/08/2009 at 3:24 am Permalink

Congrats, good luck, and godspeed.

Manuel Lemos
    11/08/2009 at 4:16 am Permalink

Andrei, congratulations for your decision. I took a similar decision 8 years ago. All I can say is that nothing more rewarding in life than growing something of your own, being that a project, a business or even a child. Your effort, your merit, your profit.

Whatever you are up to, there is always the chance of failure and face any criticisms from others because you will be assuming risks. Fortunately, failure is often partial. Whatever you may fail, will help you study further or ask help from others with prior experience to do better next time.

I have no idea what you have in mind but if you feel you could use any help from me, feel free to bug me.

Rob...
    11/08/2009 at 6:00 am Permalink

Good luck Andrei in your new ventures. I hope that they are as successful as they are satisfying.

Regards,

Rob…

Cal Evans
    11/08/2009 at 6:57 am Permalink

Best wishes and good luck Andrei! I’m sure you will be great at whatever you tackle next.

=C=

Ivo
    11/08/2009 at 7:35 am Permalink

With Chris leaving Omni, you leaving Digg, all based on that #landice trip, I wonder what things are ahead of you and whether helgi is part of it..

Are you going to release a fully utf8, ultra secure version of PEAR? :)

By the way: what will this mean for php 6? I remember that Digg let you work on it.

LornaJane
    11/08/2009 at 8:04 am Permalink

All the best for whatever is next, I shall wait with baited breath to hear what is next for you – and wish you every success!

Kysuxd
    11/08/2009 at 2:12 pm Permalink

Congrats! Time for moving on. Joe Stump left Digg and now is you. Wish you the brightest future and hope to see Digg grow without you 😀

Parinas
    14/10/2014 at 8:21 am Permalink

Hiya very nice site!! Man .. Excellent .. Amazing .. I’ll bookmark your blog and take the feeds additionally? I’m satisfied to seek out so many helpful info here in the publish, we want develop extra strategies in this regard, thank you for sharing. . . . . .

Trackbacks

1. [...] first time I discussed the idea for such a company was when Chris Shiflett and I went to Iceland …

2. Best photo printer 2014 06/11/2014 at 6:29 pm