» 30 July 2009 » In Me »

What happened to

For a very long time, I’ve been downplaying my last name, deeming it too hard to pronounce or type for the majority of people out there. Well, no more. I am bringing it back and using it as part of my online identity. has served me well over the past 10 years, but from now on, my main domain will be All the links to the old domain will silently redirect to the new one, so nothing should be broken. If you see that it is, please let me know.

11 Comments on "Re-branding"

30/07/2009 at 4:50 pm Permalink

Communist Propaganda!!

Nate Abele
    30/07/2009 at 5:00 pm Permalink

Hey Andrei, good call (in my humble opinion). The pronunciation seemed pretty straightforward after the first time I heard it properly, but if it’s still an issue you could always pull a page out of the Wietse Venema playbook and just record yourself (

30/07/2009 at 5:33 pm Permalink

Good call indeed! A last name shouldn’t be something to hide (take it from a guy who’s last name is Van Loan 😉 ) Good call on the rebrand :)

Joshua Kaufman
    30/07/2009 at 5:34 pm Permalink

Nice move. The connection between your real life identity and online identity is an important one, and it’s certainly convenient when they’re both the same word. I’m not sure if I could ever part ways with unraveled – even if was available.

Chris Shiflett
    30/07/2009 at 6:06 pm Permalink

As a card-carrying member myself, I approve. :-)

Philip Olson
    30/07/2009 at 6:59 pm Permalink

How about posting a pronunciation spelling of the name, on the about page.

30/07/2009 at 10:46 pm Permalink

It’s hard to pronounce but i will try 😀

Evan Goer
    31/07/2009 at 7:52 pm Permalink

Hear hear for lastname.orgs!

10/08/2009 at 11:59 pm Permalink

You added the pronunciation on your about page! :-) It’s not hard if people just stop and try.

10. You have the monopoly on useful information-aren’t monopolies illegal? 😉

11. Thanks for that! It’s just the answer I needed.