“VIM for (PHP) Programmers” slides and resources

» 16 February 2007 » In Talks »

By popular demand, I have uploaded the slides and the VIM script files from my VIM for (PHP) Programmers talk in Vancouver. You can find them on the Talks page.

This was the inaugural presentation of the talk, so I beg forgiveness for the rough edges and any inadvertent mistakes (of which there should be none, I hope).

It was nice to see that the talk was well attended and received. With any luck, it might become a semi-regular one on the PHP conference circuit. Happy VIM’ing.

14 Comments on "“VIM for (PHP) Programmers” slides and resources"

Anant Narayanan
    16/02/2007 at 1:06 am Permalink

This is great! Thanks for this, I was beginning to think the emacs folks were going to win the PHP battle :)

martin
    16/02/2007 at 3:12 am Permalink

Awesome summary. Although i’ve been using vim for ages, there’s still lots of nice features to pick up

Brian
    16/02/2007 at 5:39 am Permalink

Good stuff! I’ve used vim for six years and there are still new things to learn. Thanks for putting this up.

Larry Kagan
    16/02/2007 at 5:53 am Permalink

This is the most comprehensive documentation that can found in a single place on php editing with vim. Great work. I currently use ZDE to write my apps but I grew up in a vim world. When some of these features became available for vim, I decided to try it out. Here’s a great screenshot: http://larrykagan.com/images/vimdebug.png

Anyway, the debugging mechanism in my case was extremely unreliable and quirky. How was your experience with it? Or anyone else’s experience for that matter.

Thanks,

Larry Kagan

16/02/2007 at 10:33 am Permalink

Larry,

The debugger does seem pretty raw, but it’s still a good illustration of what is possible in VIM. I wish someone would take on the project of improving and maintaining it.

Matt Darby
    24/02/2007 at 9:20 am Permalink

Wonderful resource! I think jEdit might have a run for its money…

Glen
    03/04/2007 at 11:20 pm Permalink

Very nice material. It’s got me excited about using vim for my next PHP project. I’ve always used vim for system administration but never for any coding.

Vasilii
    01/04/2008 at 7:16 am Permalink

ctrl+x+u does’nt show me class methods it shows a heap of methods from classes founded in ctags. Omni completion is not working as it should. It should work like eclipse PDT. I believe this will be fixed in the future.

mathieu Elie
    14/09/2008 at 11:23 am Permalink

I’m quite new with vim and this tutorial makes me “more determinate” to learn this awesone editor, really cool document.

Is it possible to debug php with a server running the zend debugger?

Thank You!

slashahmed
    07/03/2009 at 4:48 am Permalink

Thanks for the slides it’s awesome, but would you please fix the “VIM script files” link cause it’s broken now and I can’t download these files.

07/03/2009 at 7:50 am Permalink

@slashahmed, thanks for the notice. The links are fixed now.

Lobosky
    07/04/2009 at 7:16 am Permalink

Thanks for this. Really interesting and helpful. Thanks again.

Hieu Vo
    27/06/2010 at 10:44 am Permalink

Thanks for slides, it’s very useful.

crisboot