Good Old Times

» 18 April 2006 » In PHP »

I was browsing the MARC archives the other day and decide to see what my very first posting to any of the PHP lists was. It turned out to be this one on php-general list. And then shortly thereafter I posted on php-dev offering to help with … wait for it … PHP on Windows development. And here’s my first submitted bug, too. <tear up />.

Ah, good old times indeed.. Especially considering Zeev’s reply to me. 🙂

Andi Gutmans
    18/04/2006 at 2:01 pm Permalink

hehe. And a few months later, he was indeed working on a rewrite 🙂 Andrei, you might have been that inspiration…

Zeev Suraski
    18/04/2006 at 2:10 pm Permalink

The good old times indeed 🙂 Never remembered this thread, but I have to agree with Andi, you can definitely add ‘inspirator of PHP 4’ to your resume 😉

18/04/2006 at 2:25 pm Permalink

Hey, I’ll take that. And maybe PHP 5 as well — remember all the stuff that I ran into with PHP-GTK? 🙂

Antony Dovgal
    18/04/2006 at 2:34 pm Permalink

Aha! So it was you who started all this tricky stuff with compilers and executors!
    Now I know whom to blame =)

Ilia Alshanetsky
    18/04/2006 at 2:45 pm Permalink

Neat, I guess that means you can be “blamed” for every major PHP release beyond 3.0 🙂

18/04/2006 at 2:53 pm Permalink

Oops. I did it again.

Anant
    18/04/2006 at 4:32 pm Permalink

Hey, you used to spell your name “Andrey” back then 🙂

Adam Trachtenberg
    18/04/2006 at 10:20 pm Permalink

Actually, I like Jim’s line: “Is anyone
    holding their breath waiting for Perl 6?” 🙂

Abu Hurayrah
    20/04/2006 at 10:19 am Permalink

I wonder if this is yet another nail in the coffin of “practical skepticism/pessimism”. It’s rare that project managers are willing to accept “wild & crazy” ideas because they generally prefer conservative, “realistic” goals. However, this is a path towards stagnation.

Granted, we’re talking events that happened nearly 10 years ago, which at the time might have been interpreted as stagnation by some cynics, but the point remains: don’t always discount suggestions for improvement just because they might involve quite a lot of work (e.g., “…rewriting all of the core…”).